9 years ago
Saturday, January 16, 2010
Friday Adventure
So I am not one for making New Year resolutions but today I think I started one. It all started when I got a magazine subscription for my birthday this week called Food Network. It is a great magazine and had some great recipes in it. But it also has some fun places to eat as well. So as I was flipping through I saw a page that had a big bucket of fries on it. Me being a fry lover had to read the article. In the article it told the secret to getting the perfect fry. The secret is..... DUCK FAT!!!! So first place listed for making these heavenly things was a place called Hot Doug's. Lucky for me it is here in chicago. So Jeff had the day off today so I easily talked him in to going on this food adventure with me. Our friends Dustin, Jessye and Mia went with us as well. In the magazine it says that people wait in line for these duck fat fries and they are only offered on friday and sat. So we thought there should not be to bad of a line on a cold wintery friday. Boy were we wrong. When we got there there was a line that was wrapped around the side of the building. (see picture below) We thought these fries better be good if we are going to stand a line this long. It moved pretty fast (40 min wait). But wow it was worth it. Not only does this hole in the wall have duck fries they have crazy hot dogs. We got 2 of there special dogs. One was Apple Pork Sausage with Sweet Curry Mustard and Creme de Brie Cheese and the Antelope Sausage with Bacon Garlic Mayonnaise and Trilogy Cheddar Cheese. We shared the crazy dogs with everyone so we all could taste them. I was a little scared to try them but I must say that the antelope sausage was my favorite one of all. Then we also got a corn dog for Jaxon to eat, a polish dog, and a chicago style dog. Oh and don't forget we had to try the Duck Fat Fries. Oh and may I say they were heavenly. It tasted great. I think I will only eat fruit and veggies for the next week though. I think the sign on the wall of the store sums up our whole trip... " There are no two finer words in the English language then " Encased Meats", my friend." - Secret Robbie. We had a great time and a fun adventure. Oh so getting back to my New Years Resolution, I am going to find fun places that are out of the ordinary around where we live and go and check them out. There are so many times in my life that I think oh that would be a fun place to go to.. but never do. So I am going to make a goal to go do more crazy fun adventures as a family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
agh!! i want that magazine so bad!!! next time you go no a foodie adventure, i'm there!!
duck fat is like liquid gold!!!
i wish my leftover baby fat were worth something... ;)
Wow, dad will have to go to that place! Sounds weird but sounds fun!
Im sure you are in the perfect city to be trying new restaurants and fun foods!!!!! Im a little jealous. I love the picture of Jaxon and that cute girl, he has the look like, "Take the picture already, mom." Miss ya!
fun resolution. I'm pretty sure Rigby, ID, is going to be a tough one to accomplish that one.
Way to go try new things around here! There are so many Chicago jems!! My sisters and I stood in line for 40 min at Pink's hot dogs in L.A. a few months ago and I think the wait just makes it better.
wow, i can definietly say the names sounded interesting to say the least.
but perhaps if i ever make it to chicago, i'll have to try the fries!
i loved your resolution, it really through me, cause you started talking about food (naturally most people vow to eat healthier in a new year) so then i was really confused after reading the kind of food you ate. But happy to hear your real resolution, that is actually a great idea, and maybe i'll haveto steal it. i'm always wondering what to do when people come visit, but that way i'd know.
okay sorry about rambling on. This is lacey, (jeff's friend from hs) Stay warm!
-lace
Yeah for you! I would have been scared to try the dogs too. :) I like that resolution. Do you know that for someone having lived almost my entire life here in the Portland/Vancouver area, I have NEVER gone to Saturday's Market in downtown Portland? And I've never been to the Starlight Parade. How sad is it that we miss out on those local things. :)
Love you sis!
:)
Post a Comment