Thursday, March 24, 2011

Green River and Green Dinner!!

GREEN RIVER
Every year here in Chicago, St Patty's day is a big deal.  I have never lived in a place that really cared to much to celebrate it.  Here in Chicago they go all out.  The Saturday before St Patty's day they have a parade, and die a part of the river green.  We have wanted to go for the last couple of years but just never made it down.  Well we made it this year and i am so glad that we did.  It was really fascinating how they changed part of the river a neon green.  This was not just a slight change.  Holy Cow it was green.  They have a boat that has a yellow/ orange powder that they dump out the back of the boat.  There is another boat in the water that follows around the boat.  It is almost as it is helping to mix the color in. I guess I heard that the water stays this green for a few days and then goes back to its normal color.  It was a little chilly, with some cold wind.  We did not stay for the parade because we didn't want to freeze Graham or Jaxon.  But we had lots of fun walking around looking at all the people all decked out in their green outfits.  There were a group of guys that had on full green suits.  Pretty funny.  To bad we don't drink because everywhere was selling Green Beer.  I guess it is a big thing here. We had fun drinking our shamrock shakes instead.  ** Side funny note... While in McDonald's there were 4 older ladies i would say mid 60s..  They were having a jolly good time.... I looked over and saw them doing jello shots in the middle of McDonald's at 10:30 am mind you.  It was pretty funny.  ***



BEFORE






 AFTER!!!  FUN DAY!!!!


GREEN DINNER

So I couldn't resist making an all green dinner on Thursday St Patty's day.  We had so much fun at the river i had to carry on.  So i made chicken Alfredo, lime jello, peas, and Jeff had a green salad.  For dessert I made shamrock rice crispy treats.  Oh and you cant forget the green juice.  Jaxon thought it was so cool and kept asking for more green juice the next day.  We had a fun GREEN dinner together as a family.  I think this is a tradition that i will have to do every year.  






d

3 comments:

Heidi said...

aimie, you look so piddy at your green dinner! :) that's a really fun tradition. i may have to copy you next year. it's looks like you'll have a few more years of seeing the river turn green too!! very fun!

Adrienne & Scott said...

Looks like you had a fun St. Paddy's day!! I'm jealous that you got to go to the actual dying of the river. How fun!! And yes, it was VERY bright green, I couldn't believe it! Well it looks like you'll be able to go to it for 3 more years now!! And your hair is really cute curly!!

Heidi Allred said...

yummy dinner! I wish I could have eaten it! Miss you and you look gorgeous in that picture mimi!